What You Will Need:
2 TB Butter
2 c. Onions
2 tsp. Garlic (minced)
2 c. Chicken (cooked and chopped)
8 c. Water or Chicken Stock
2 tsp. Cilantro (fresh and chopped)
1 can Great Northern Beans
¼ tsp. Ground Cloves
¼ tsp. White Pepper (or Cayenne)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 c. Rice (cooked)
2 TB Flour
½ c. Water
What You Do:
1. Saute the Onion in the Butter for 5 – 8 min.
2. Add the Garlic and cook for 3 more minutes.
3. Add the Chicken, Liquid, Beans, Cilantro and seasonings.
4. Bring to a Boil and add the Rice.
5. Bring it down to a simmer
6. Make a slurry from the Water and Flour and add to soup.
The Low Down:
This is a very easy soup to make and it is packed with a lot of different flavors you might not be expecting. I use to serve this in my restaurant and everyone who tried it loved it.
What you won’t be expecting is the taste of the cloves. I don’t love cloves but they add a nice warmth to the soup that you don’t find just anywhere. This soup is good in the winter or summer.
*You make the slurry by whisking the flour into the warm water slowly so as not to make any lumps.