I never liked the Shepherd’s Pie that came from my elementary school cafeteria, it was basically mashed potatoes infused with mealy ground beef that got stuck in your teeth. So I thought that was what Shepherd’s Pie was and never wanted to see it again in my life.
Luckily, my wife ran across this recipe, modified it and made it. It is Dee-lish-shus! This dish will go in your rotation I promise.
What You’ll Need:
1½ lbs Ground Beef
1 c. Onion (Chopped)
4 oz. Mushrooms (Sliced)
1 cl. Garlic (Minced)
1 c. Peas – thawed
1 cube Beef Boullion
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Thyme
¼ tsp. Pepper
1 TB Flour
1 can Diced Tomatoes (14.5oz)
1 Bay Leaf
2 T. Red Wine Vinegar
4 c. Mashed Potatoes ( Go here for this recipe)
What You Do:
1. Brown Beef. Remove from skillet. Reserver 2 T. of juice. Reduce to Med.
2. Sautee onions, mushrooms, garlic in pan 10-11 min.
3. Stir in GB, peas, bouillion, salt, thyme and pepper
4. Sprinkle flour over mixture. Increase to Med. High. Cook 1 min.
5. Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf and vinegar. Red. Heat to med. Stir 3 min. until slightly thickened
6. Remove bay leaf
7. Transfer to lightly greased baking dish. 3 qut.
8. Spoon potatoes over meat mixture. Smooth with back of spoon.
9. Bake at 400 for 15 min. Cool for 5 min.